August 9, 2026
Tyler Park, PA
8.52 miles
3h33m
![]() |
| Way more fun than should be allowed. |
We agreed to meet at about 1pm. I was worried Tyler Park would be too far now that I've switched barns, but it turned out to be an ok drive. We can definitely keep this one on the list of regulars.
For this ride, I introduced a fly mask for poor Max who has no forelock to speak of and is sensitive to bugs. I have found that some horses get spooky with the mesh over their eyes. Max is not one of them and has earned his fly protection privileges.
![]() |
| Max took to the Hi Tie like a fish to water. |
My navigation this day was on point for a change. We managed to do the entire perimeter trail (green then red) including both dams. We didn't cover many of the trails in the center of the park, opting to save them for next time. This whole ride was an excellent preview for the future. There are so many good places to move out! Alas, Max and I were still doing our 100 miles of walking and I behaved myself.
As always, the ride started with the covered bridge, which Max didn't even seem to notice. I feel like all my horses need to get their picture taken in here.
![]() |
| Iconic. |
After a quick dip in the river, we picked up the green trail in the direction I know it best.
We wound our way through the fields and past White Pine Stables.
There were some trees down earlier this year, but they have all been cleared. Taylor and I managed to wind our way through the woods, where I paused to sponge Max from the saddle for the first time. Then we found our way to the quaint little farmstead by Richboro Road and did some of my favorite trails in the park.
![]() |
| Max enjoyed a good sponging on a hot day. |
![]() |
| The temptation to canter all the places was very real on this day. |
Somewhere in here, we came across some debris that needed to be cleared. I dismounted to move some things, leaving Max on the other side of a low log. When I was ready for him, I called him like a dog. I was joking, but Max came right to me. Taylor got it on video.
To my delight, we managed to find the river trail that goes past the big dam. Terra and I were not able to get here last time I went to Tyler Park. Again, I think it's because trees were down. Still, it felt like a victory.
The water level was low enough to wade the horses into the creek.
Across the way, a family was enjoying a dip in the water. I was a little nervous when I watched their young son work his way across the strongest currents below the dam to cross to our side of the river. Taylor and I were both surprised when he approached us and asked questions about the horses, but we answered him before moving on.
![]() |
| Friends. |
We followed the beautiful riverside trail from the dam to the main pavilion area.
Near the nature trail, we spotted some hikers. They were gazing over the edge of the bridge at something so I took a look. It took me a moment to put together what I was seeing.
There was a yellow-crowned night heron on a log about twelve feet up in the air. It had its head strangely tucked underneath its chest and wasn't moving.
![]() |
| A strange pose for a bird. |
We watched the heron for a long time. At first, we wondered if it was injured or caught in fishing line. That would happen to me. The bird was in a tough place to get to and we were formulating a plan for how to retrieve it if help was actually needed.
It eventually became apparent that the bird was likely hot/wet and was resting/preening. We stood around for a while just observing it anyway just because it was cool.
Max took this opportunity to take a nap.
![]() |
| "What is this silly human doing now?" |
![]() |
| I don't think I've seen one of these before. |
![]() |
| Sit, stay, good dog. |
We finished our ride by following the red trail down the river, which was gorgeous as always. We could have added some mileage, but this was Max's longest ride at that point, and it was super hot. We definitely wanted to take advantage of the swimming hole under the covered bridge so we made a beeline there.
Max was a little hesitant to go in the deeper water but followed Roger in obediently. When we got to where it drops off, he paused again. I gave him a little bump with my leg and he did a legit cannonball into the creek! I squealed and briefly thought I was going to be unseated, but ultimately stuck the landing.
We wound up having an absolute blast in the river that day. We swam the horses back and forth several times and also spent some time just chilling under the bridge.
Both horses did this funny thing in the deeper water. They planted their front feet firmly on the bottom, but let their hindquarters float behind them. It must have felt good because they stayed that way for a long time and Roger even grunted and groaned happily.
I was tickled by Max's willingness to swim and hang out in the deep water. As readers probably know, I love to be in water on horseback. Having a horse who is willing to humor me by entering every river, lake, and pond we come across is a must around here.
We took sooo many photos and videos, but I'll just give you the highlights.
![]() |
| Happily soaking in wither-deep water. |
![]() |
| Lots of pats for the best boy. |
![]() |
| Roger floating his booty. |










































How cool!!! I'm jealous that you don't have to worry about water that color housing alligators.
ReplyDeleteYou know... I actually thought about this as I was posting the photos. Fish are bad enough!!
DeleteOK, Max coming to you when called is adorable.
ReplyDeleteMax rocks <3
ReplyDeleteI'm going to need you to start telling us bad things about Max because he is far too perfect and far too sweet and I am far too in love 😭
ReplyDeleteOk! Since you asked:
Delete1. He weaves
2. He is intermittently off in his LF
3. He occasionally kicks out if he doesn't like something (though he's learning this is not going to fly around here)