July 24, 2026
Capoolong Creek Trail
7.48 miles
2h30m
The group consisted of Hannah on Merlin, Taylor on Roger, Angela on Surfer, and Linda on Foxy.
I see Angela regularly and we chat almost daily, but this was only our second time trail riding together!
You may remember Linda and Foxy from my horse training days. She and I have actually never ridden together before!
This was Max's first time in a big group with me. I didn't expect any problems since he played polo. He should be used to large numbers of horses doing their own thing around him.
Max handled this group ride flawlessly. He was happy to lead, follow, or go in the middle. He wasn't at all bothered by what the other horses were doing and did not seem buddy sour. He did jig slightly a couple of times when the lead horse got too far ahead of the group, but he was easily redirected.
I went home from this ride feeling like Max had really earned his keep.
We all met at the municipal building parking lot that morning. This was formerly a church, but has been converted since I last parked there with Sandy for a winter road ride. We joked that we had to be on our best behavior since we were next to the police station.
I was tickled to learn that this lot is less than ten minutes from the barn. I have a lot of good nearby options for after work rides.
![]() |
| Max meets most of the horses we'll be riding with regularly. |
![]() |
| First time on the Hi Tie. He was instantly a pro. |
![]() |
| Our collection of vehicles. |
The first stretch of the ride was along the road to the trailhead. I'll admit I was a little nervous at first. Even though Max had been fine with traffic on our first trail ride, it was different to actually be on the pavement. I was also a little concerned about his front shoes being slippery without studs. Again, I've never had an iron shod horse before!
I needn't have worried. Max was perfectly calm and sure footed. Perhaps this horse will be the one to give me back some of the confidence I've lost over the years.
![]() |
| The speed limit sign made me chuckle. |
Max also had his first railroad crossing. I dismounted here because of the huge rocks and my own anxiety. Max didn't even bat an eye. I rode him over on the way back.
![]() |
| "You make some strange requests. Ya know that, lady?" |
Max found himself in the front of the group as we hit the rail trail. He was perfectly content to lead and I expressed my gratitude to friends who were willing to accompany me on Max's 100 miles of walking.
At one of the road crossings, we came across a utility truck. It actually parked across the trail as we approached, blocking the way with air brakes hissing, engine rumbling, and lights flashing. Max demonstrated his bravery by leading the rest of the horses by like nothing was amiss.
This is when I declared, "This guy is really earning his keep already!" Any delusions I had about Max being a sale project started to go out the window.
The rest of the ride was uneventful. We rode almost to the very end of the Capoolong. There was some bushwhacking along the way, which Max excelled at.
Some parts of the trail are washed out with a narrow path next to a sheer drop to the river. Max did not react to me panicking from my fear of heights.
Despite Max being foot perfect, I chickened out on one stretch and dismounted. There wasn't enough room for us to walk together so I let him go ahead while I clung to tree trunks and resisted the urge to crawl on my hands and knees. Max simply walked ahead until he caught up to Roger, then paused and waited for me to rejoin him. He also lined right up with the stump I climbed on to remount him.
We eventually reached the bridge at the far end of the trail. Max didn't mind that at all either. In fact, I have ridden Max over dozens of bridges of all kinds now. He hasn't even needed a second look at any of them, even when other horses hesitate.
Mike was leaving for the weekend that afternoon and I wanted to see him off. I was watching the clock and my friends all faithfully turned around with me when I reached my halfway point.
Not surprisingly, we made better time on the way back than the way out. Even though we were just walking, the horses knew we were heading back and really marched along.
I was pleased with the ground-covering walk Max demonstrated during this portion of the ride. I had been telling myself not to nitpick his gaits, but I'll admit I was relieved that he was offering more than a pokey quarter horse walk. What can I say? I get bored easily.
![]() |
| Quarter horse bros. |
At the end of the Capoolong, Linda, Taylor, and Angela decided to continue down the Landsdown Trail. Hannah and I split off. Seven and a half miles was enough for Max on his second outing, and Hannah had a lot to do that afternoon.
I was glad she was coming with me back down the road to the trailers. I'm sure Max would have been fine, and I could have hand walked back, but the company was nice.
Ten minutes later, Max was back home, and Hannah and I were plotting an epic adventure for the following day.
"If you're going to be walking a hundred miles, we might as well make them interesting," she said. I couldn't agree more.
But more on that later...
































No comments:
Post a Comment