August 11, 2026
Deer Path Park
3.66 miles
1h4m
After several splendid adventures, I decided Max was ready to go out on trail alone. This is something I have historically done early in the process, but I don't have trails off the farm where Max and Chip live so it would require trailering out.
I decided to keep it local, simple, and short. After work, Max and I trailered over to Deer Path Park, where Mike popped over on his motorcycle to make sure I got out safely. D'aww.
Max was a little hesitant to go out at first and was definitely looking around for a buddy. Other than being a little sucked back, he didn't offer any bad behavior, and I was able to urge him forward. I actually did a few short stretches of trot to reinstall the forward button.
Once we got past the soccer fields and across the street to the Round Mountain section, however, Max relaxed and resumed his usual marching walk, which has been rapidly developing as we go.
We rode along the power lines and to the fields since Max was barefoot behind. I wanted to avoid the big climbs and rocky sections.
We did see an interesting sight while we circled the fields. There was a man out walking with his two young daughters. That wasn't the interesting part. The interesting part was the off leash cat that was tagging along with them! Of course, we stopped to let the kids pet the pony (who was calmly ignoring the kitty pouncing around in the wildflowers).
Max and I made a short loop and descended the mountain. It was a little rockier than I remembered. I think having a string of horses with rock hard feet desensitized me to some of the footing around here.
Still, Max handled it like a champ and I promised to try the Scoot Boots behind. The farrier was coming the following morning so the timing was perfect.
After that we descended down my favorite trail and back to the park proper. Max was still happily marching along so we took the long way back to the trailer, following the walking path around the perimeter of the park.
That night we broke 60 miles of walking. I was delighted that Max was as good out there by himself as he is with company. There were only two things left to do evaluation-wise: pony Chip and trail ride with Bonnie. I planned to get those knocked out in short order.
![]() |
| Heading along the road. |
![]() |
| Crossing the first big field. |
![]() |
| Happily into the woods. |
![]() |
| You know the bridge was no problem. |
![]() |
| Up the power lines. |
![]() |
| View from the top of the field. |
![]() |
| Heading back. |














No comments:
Post a Comment