Friday, September 25, 2026

The Return of Field Trips

 August 13, 2026
Deer Path Park
3.9 miles
1h14m

Two chestnut boys getting ready to have some fun.

When I got Max, I told Mike there were basically two things I needed this horse to be able to do. 

  1. Pony the baby
  2. Trail ride with the dog
Everything else is gravy. 

Since Max handled our first solo ride so well, I decided to go back two days later with Chip in tow. I had practiced ponying him off Max at the barn. It was time to try it in the real world.

I think Chip was delighted to get back out there. The last time he got to go on a trail ride was in June. While two months may not seem like a long time, Chip definitely has a sense of adventure and gets bored easily. 

At first, the excitement of moving to a new farm and getting into a routine was enough to keep him occupied, but I caught him waiting forlornly at the gate a few times when I trailered out without him in July. 

He jumped eagerly into the trailer even though Max wasn't on yet.

It's worth noting that Max and Chip weren't turned out together yet at this point in time. I like to think they spent the short trailer ride to the park getting to know each other.

"It's about time, lady!"

Overall, the ride went really well! 

I kept Chip on the lead while we got through the park proper and across the road. Max handled this like a pro, as expected. His walk was well-matched to Chip's so this was great.

They match.



Once we were across the street, I turned Chip loose. Max and I were still just walking, but Chip was free to do his own thing. I was curious to see how this would go. 


Max looked mildly concerned when I first let Chip loose, but quickly took it in stride. He remained steady and calm while Chip led, followed, and did his trademark drive-by moves. 

When I took Max for his first solo ride, I discovered that the trail with the bridge was quite overgrown and thorny. I opted to skip this stretch the second time around. Instead, we went up the favorite trail I normally take on the way down. 




We went the usual way down the powerlines and up the adjacent fields. I think Chip was actually fitter than Max at this point and kept pulling away from us, then circling back to check in. Max handled that like a champ.





At the top of the field, Chip trotted happily into the woods, following the single track. He briefly went out of sight. Max did not like that and started to get really upset. He never actually did anything bad, but I suddenly remembered that I was in the woods alone. I decided it might be prudent to put safety first for a second and dismounted just in case. 

A few minutes later, Chip came trotting back for his regularly scheduled check-in and Max settled back down. 


We took some of the same rocky trails I did earlier in the week. This time, I booted Max behind. It was my first time using the Scoot Boots on him and I was delighted that the brand new boots I purchased earlier in the summer fit his back feet perfectly. It's the little things.

Max did a lot better with the boots on and I made a mental note to use them regularly going forward. He marched down even the rockiest bits with confidence.





As we neared the bottom of the hill, Chip happily took off again. Given how upset Max was the first time Chip left, I probably would have let him trot to keep up, but we were going down a steep, technical stretch of trail, so I hopped off again just to be safe. 

I was certain we would find Chip grazing on the lush grass beneath the power lines, but when we got there, there was no sign of the two-year-old. I think Max was more panicked about this than I was and his eyes got really big. 

There are a few different directions you can go from this spot, and I had no way of knowing which way Chip had chosen. I suspected he was taking the bridge trail down the hill towards home, but I wasn't willing to bet on it.

Instead, I just waited quietly for a minute. I was certain Chip would be back. 

Sure enough, I heard the sound of crashing underbrush and hooves thudding a moment later. Chip had taken the trail I guessed. I think he hit the thorns and realized he had lost Max at the same time. He came trotting happily back to us, much to Max's relief. 

I did put him on the lead rope for the rest of our ride for Max's peace of mind.

"Is the kid coming?"

"To be clear. I didn't say I like him..."

Back at the trailer, I played some musical ponies. I made sure each horse got a turn loading first and unloading last. I want to make sure I don't create any bad habits in anyone in that department. 

I was very pleased with my first outing with both boys. I decided I would postpone further field trips until Max was past his 100 miles of walking to set us all up for success. 

I'm pleased to report that I took them back to Deer Path Park together two days ago and everyone had a great time. In fact, Max has gained fitness and Chip couldn't catch him at the canter!

I am trying to get back to our monthly outing. This year has been a whirlwind even more than most, but I'm pretty happy with Chip's progress and am trying to give myself some grace. 

Still, I am excited about future adventures with my redheads! 

Next up: Bonnie's turn!

No comments:

Post a Comment