Wednesday, September 2, 2026

August 2026

 I am blogging as fast as I can but there is still so much to write about! I'm going through all my firsts with Max which will require proper documentation. 

His first trail ride with me. First time being ridden downtown. First time going swimming. First solo trail ride. First time ponying Chip on trail. First time trail riding with Bonnie. First time setting up a NACMO ride. With any luck, we'll add our first camping trip this weekend.

We've also finished our 100 miles of walking so things are about to pick up!

But one thing I can stay on top of is the monthly photo dump. So here you go!

Chip says hello.

In case any of you also need a change of luck. It seems to be going around this year...



Living my best life, walking goats.

The dramatic size difference...

We went swimming at Round Valley. Bonnie wasn't sure how she felt about that.



Fetch made the water less terrible.

*Jaws theme*


I did a test ride with Max and Bonnie to make sure trail riding them together would be an option. Both were on their best behavior.


Did I mention I did the ride bareback? 

Dinner with co-workers be like...

We've had a very wet summer, which means mushrooms everywhere.


V, who lives at the farm, works at the same cat clinic I used to. Various kittens looking for homes came through this month. This one was tempting, but I do not need to add a cat to my chaos.

I ponied Chip off of Max for the first time. Max did a great job ignoring all the young horse shenanigans. 

I knew Max would do well ponying another horse, but I wanted to see what he did if I let Chip off leash. He was fine with that too. Good boy.


Both booty and tail starting to fill in a bit.

Enjoying some hand grazing after a bath.

This guy loves to roll and be filthy. I don't hold it against him.

Chip and Falcon grazing at sunset.

In a search for serotonin, I ordered a couple visually pleasing books.


One of our Lawn Deer appears to have a tumor on her face. I thought it was a cracked/infected tooth at first, but it has grown significantly without rupturing and she's eating well. Unfortunately, she's probably not long for this earth.

Chip is going through his terrible twos and has been a bit bored/looking for trouble. I rarely lunge him because I don't like small circles on growing joints, but on this day, he definitely benefited from a few structured laps around the indoor.


I love that he comes running when he sees me.


I now have two snuggly boys.




Bonnie really loved this possum toy. Look at the size of her pupils!

It's hose season.


Body condition slowly moving in the right direction. 


So many turtles this year!

Max and Usidore adore each other.


The face of a bored dog itching to do something.


The face of the same dog after she got her wish and went on a trail ride in the Pine Barrens on a warm day.


Apparently there was a paper wasp nest in the gate to Max's field. I figured this out the hard way when they stung me repeatedly. That hurt like hell. I do not recommend. Also, I hate summer.


Helping Hannah prepare for a music video filming at her farm. I'll share more details when I can, but that was a super fun thing to participate in!



Because both their pasture mates were being stalled in preparation for the filming, Max and Chip got turned out together. Happily, they get along, so this arrangement is sticking for the time being.







I've been trying to long line Chip once a week or so. He's a pro at it by now.



Doing some flag work with one of our stars.

I spent August taking some really unflattering photos of the horses.

He cleans up well!


Max did NOT approve of flag waving in the other pasture. Chip didn't care, but he does like running so he joined in.



Sometimes Chip still looks really tiny to me, but in this photo he does look like he's growing a bit.

Did our annual trip to the fair. The goats are always my favorite.

I could teach these to pull a cart... Just sayin'.




A certain two year old who shall not be named turned into a bit of an escape artist while left alone. This meant spending a Saturday doing some fence repairs. Max was happy to stay out of the way and munch on some alfalfa.

Bonnie supervised.

Supervising is hard work.

Once Max finished his snack, he went over to investigate the truck. His personality is finally starting to come out a little bit. He seems to be curious, engaged, and a little goofy. Perfect.

Chip was climbing in the water bucket so I put it in a bigger trough for safe keeping.

I can't prove it was Falcon who taught Chip to climb in water tubs, but I have my suspicions...


We were overdue for sushi.

I got bitten on the ankle by a horse fly (through pants and socks). My whole foot swelled up afterwards. Seriously. I am ready for winter. Things don't bite me in the winter.


Long lining Chip with Bonnie bouncing around. I'm so glad he is no longer terrified of dogs. That would have been problematic.

Hannah mowed a path around the pond which meant Chip got to go all around back there too.



I did get a serious barn upgrade this summer.


Now they race to get to me. Chip usually wins.

I took unflattering photos of my own animals too.

A kitten that was abandoned at the clinic and needs a home.


Vet came to do Coggins.


We got rained out of our trail ride, but I have access to an indoor now. The weather literally doesn't matter. I suggested we do driving evaluations on Usidore and Mulberry. Both reportedly drove before Hannah bought them, and I've been missing carriage time. I plan to try teaching Max to drive in the future, but we're not quite there yet.

My free harness fits a wide variety of horses apparently.

Success number one!


I don't think I've driven a gaited horse before. (Standardbred pacers don't count.)

Mulberry was an old pro. Not surprising.

I am delighted that the beautiful new Meadowbrook I just bought fits someone at the farm! I was going to sell it, but was very sad about it. This gives me an excuse to keep it.


All this driving inspired me to hook Chip to the tire for the first time. This is the first time he has ever dragged anything. He cared 0%.


He's such a good egg. I am so excited to hitch him next year!




No comments:

Post a Comment