Thursday, August 20, 2026

July 2026

 I have finished privately chronicling the final rides of the previous chapter. It's time to dive into new beginnings! I am officially viewing July 1st as a clean, new page. 

I still have to formally introduce Max (very soon!) In the meantime, have a bunch of photos from July.

So glad this kid is safe and settling well into his new routine.
Picked up some hay from Sarah's to hold me over. Finally got to meet her emus, which she calls Thunder Chickens. Now that I've heard them making their rumbling noise, I understand why. I find these guys equal parts fascinating and terrifying.

Got my first few between the ears photos with my new horse. I do always enjoy the getting to know you phase.

Chip turned two in July. I'm not sure where the time goes. I'll have an official birthday photo spam post in the near future, but I noticed his head suddenly looks like that of an adult horse instead of a foal. He is a whopping 13.3hh at the croup. Everyone keep sending jingles for upward growth haha.

Max was very happy to transition to 24 hour turn out and to get a buddy. I want to be clear that he came from a good home, but he is definitely appreciating some of the changes living with me has brought.

First full turn out.

The theme for July was friendship. They say it takes a village. From my firsthand experience: get yourself the village that comes through when it counts. The silver lining of this whole shitshow has been that I apparently have an amazing support network. My friends rallied around me and provided everything from words of wisdom to distractions in the form of pool days and game nights. I am forever in their debt.

Apparently I am now 100% team Chestnut Gelding. Did not see this coming. (Though I did technically manifest them both...)

Living my best life, walking a pair of goats around. NBD.

Chip is also delighted with his pasture upgrade and the fact that he has boy horses that will actually play with him instead of mean mares who only teach young horses manners. (In all seriousness, the timing of this transition was pretty good as far as Chip goes.)
Snuggles with Chippy during his brief period as an only horse child.

Looking all grown up in the big barn. In all honesty, the way he settled in with no questions asked after loading into my trailer in the middle of the road, in the middle of the night, with police lights flashing everywhere is a testament to how he was raised. This kid really takes everything in stride and I couldn't be prouder. 

Bonnie's favorite thing about summer is getting to play with the HOOOOOSE! Bonus points for the fact that apparently everyone has "hoses" inside and outside their homes/barns/whatever.

Falcon is a very sweet boy.

Boy squad greetings brought me lots of joy.

First few feedings were in the little barn.

Baby's first wash stall.

We had some serious heat waves and we did lots of hosing to keep everyone cool.

Mike and Mulberry are becoming fast friends.

Air quality concerns.

Baby's first indoor and first mirrors.


Happy girl enjoying her daily romp in the woods.




Max the day after I brought him home. I've been doing a weekly photo since and the change has been pretty dramatic already.


Hand grazing and getting to know each other.

First few nights in the dry lot while he settled in.

Went to Carolyn's to catch up and got to see her latest critters.



The way to healing is through friendly livestock.

This gigantic guy has been a regular visitor.

I should have named her Polly.

Chip has been long lining all over the property without batting an eye. If I wasn't so lazy in the summer heat, I'd trailer him out to long line on trails elsewhere.



The tail...




Getting ready for our first ride at home.


Here comes trouble...


Baby's first goats. (Also fine.)


Before photos of Max's front feet. He was stalled and had some pretty serious thrush, but they're coming around quickly. NGL, these feet would have been a dealbreaker for me, but I was willing to take a chance for a dollar.





I'm getting way ahead of myself, but these two would make a cute driving pair in a few years.

Meeting for the first time.


He got shiny quickly.

Finished the backstitch on this thing.


Beating the snot out of each other on dinosaur pool floaties under an apocalyptic sky was good for the soul. (My friends are the coolest.)


Annual wildfire smoke. I'm sure the planet is fine.






Chip chooses me over his herd mates every time.


The barn is located right by one of our favorite restaurants. This may be dangerous...

I would be so lost without this man. He is my rock.

Game night was a hilarious distraction.




The only thing that has rattled Max so far was the lawnmower. He was very concerned.


May or may not have taught Chip to chase the ball.

Not quite sound at the beginning of the month.


My farrier is a wizard. This is also the first time I've ever had a horse in metal shoes. Hopefully not permanent, but I don't mind for now. Max felt relief immediately.






Long lined Chip with Bonnie in tow. If you recall, he had some very bad experiences with dogs at an early age. It's the only thing he's ever been afraid of. This is a big deal! In fact, he's totally fine with Bonnie romping around regularly. Excellent!


This alert from one of my apps cracked me up.

Max learns all about the Cookie Man.



It's hard to be a former shelter dog.




Stealth dog.

Various things that got me through the month:




















1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad we got the chance to connect again at Muckleratz! I am bummed and angry that you've been dragged through the wringer the way you have, and all of the BS that you'd had to deal with, but you have resilience and strength and are making it through to a clean slate. Support villages are the absolute best and it's always nice to know that when you've been there for others, that the favor gets returned.

    I'm in love with your chestnut boys...they are a fine team, and you deserve many happy and stress-free miles and adventures ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete